5 Things To Do During The Holidays To Improve Your Business
For many companies, excluding retail, business slows down during the holidays as people take vacations and defer new decisions on purchases for the following year. This downtime creates a wonderful opportunity to re-energize yourself and your business.
Here are some ideas on how to leverage your downtime this holiday season:
- Organize and refresh your space. Like many of you, I struggle to keep my business organized and clean. Clutter builds up, files get disorganized and the environment gets stale. The holidays are a great time to purge extra clutter, reorganize your files and update your décor. By doing these activities, your team will be more productive and engaged.
- Evaluate opportunities. Whether its identifying process improvements, talent needs or new innovations, now is the time to look at your business and see what opportunities exist to improve your business.
- Plan for next year. The holidays are a great time to reflect on the past year’s goals and set new goals and plans for next year. Your planning can include setting new sales targets, adding new products and services, and instituting new processes to improve efficiency.
- Conduct teambuilding and employee engagement activities. Teambuilding and engagement should be a year-round activity. However, the holidays create a unique opportunity to amplify efforts to improve your culture. The spirit of the holidays means appreciation for others and creating a feeling of family. Volunteering to serve food at a kitchen, having a holiday party and providing a gift to your team are great ways to show them how much you value them.
- Work on yourself. Many of us work long hours and wear many hats. Our time is stretched. As a result, we have less time to work on self-improvement. With downtime during the holidays, you can read an extra leadership book, brush up on skills and work on areas that can help you more successful in business and life.
By doing one or all of these activities, not only have your business up for more success next year, but you have figured out how to gain personal value at a time when business is slow. Keep in mind that above all else, it is important to take time to enjoy the holidays with family and friends. That is what the holidays are all about!